From time to time, I get emails asking me whether this or that behavior is adult, or I see something tagged as #adulting on Tumblr like “Ate two bowls of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Total adulting fail.”
There’s a little panic that I feel when asked to make judgment calls on the lives of strangers, and sadness if this blog makes people feel bad about themselves for things that they should totally not feel bad about.
Since the point of this blog is absolutely not to make people feel bad about themselves, here, from my admittedly limited perspective, are things that have zero bearing on whether or not you are an adult:
1. A deep appreciation of cartoons
2. Sometimes — sometimes — eating an entire canister of frosting.
3. Reading the Harry Potter books all the way through for a sevent(eent)h time in a row
4. Getting ridiculously excited about something super trivial
5. Possessing no desire to read Ulysses
Here, from my admittedly limited perspective, are things that do have bearing on whether or not you are an adult:
1. Treating others, and yourself, with decency and kindness
2. Figuring out things that need to happen, then doing them with minimal self-pity/whining/procrastination
There you go! That’s it! I think almost every entry on this blog falls into one or the other of those two things.